Monday 14 November 2011

The Seami(er) Side of Life

I don’t like sewing up, I just don’t. In fact, I would say I hate everything about it – from threading a needle to making sure my seams match. And, to be honest, I’m not very good at it. For years, I just matched up the bumps on the edges of my knitting and ended up with a seam that looked something like this on the inside, and the outside




Not great, I think you'll agree.

Then, a few weeks ago, I decided to teach myself how to mattress stitch. And this is how my side seams turned out on the inside and, of course, the outside





Much better, methinks. And shoulder seams have given me problems for years. Even if I backstitched them together, they always looked as though the seam was pulling apart, but now – look




They look so much better. And this is a great little tutorial for mattress stitch



I suppose, what I’m trying to say is that, after 25 years of knitting, all of a sudden my finished garments have a more professional finish. And I like that!

Of course, if you want to learn this and other finishing techniques in person, you can sign up to our class on 12th February 2-12 here

June

No comments:

Post a Comment