Monday 29 April 2013

A Memory.

May I introduce you to this one little pattern from King Cole that I haven't even knitted yet? Yes? Thanks:



I've come across this pattern before, I'm sure you have too. It's very old fashioned and all the more lovely because of it. You knit it in squares, starting in the corner, increase at the edges until it's the width that it needs to be from corner to corner and then decrease again popping in a leaf and some garter ridges along the way (in this version, I'm not sure I've ever seen the garter ridges before). Then you sew them together so that the leaves fall together and the garter ridges together. Dead simple, dead effective and just enough 'knitting' to make it feel like you're doing something

We've had the pattern in the shop for a few weeks at least but it's been at the back of the shop waiting to be put onto the internet because I've been caught up in the SkillMeOnline lessons (still not completed btw but I'll get there...). I've just come back to get this pile cleared so that I can clear that part of the shop and I discovered it anew. 

At almost exactly the same time I was rediscovering it, a customer walked in and rediscovered it herself. She told us a story that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Her mum had made this pattern time and time again in 4ply for smaller versions and DK for larger for all of the family. When she was dying and wanted something to do she started another version. It never got finished and as my customer was clearing out her mum's stuff she found the half knitted blanket and finished it off for her niece so that this little baby could have something made for the grandma she'd never see. 

Oh god. Is it getting too sickly in here?!? Sweet little story. There's only so much you can do with sticks and string so things are always going to come back. Lots of knitters and crocheters tell me about specific connection with history - one day maybe I'll have my own sweet little story. It might even start with me knitting one of these 3703 blankets!

Back to work, 

Love Eleanor. x

2 comments:

  1. Beauuuuuutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks absolutely stunning! And what a bizarre coincidence - life is funny like that sometimes...

    ReplyDelete